March 18, 2020
To our applicants, residents and participants, I am writing to let you know that we have spent the last several days planning for a response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) that will allow us to continue to provide you with safe, decent housing. The well-being of those that we serve, and the employees who assist us in this service, remain our greatest priority.
We are implementing some changes in the way we will do business for the immediate future. Effective immediately, and until further notice, HATT's Executive Leadership Team will implement the following precautions to protect its residents:
- Recertification deadlines will be extended
- Closure of Section 8 lobby; clients should email or call
- Suspension of terminations
- Suspension of voucher issuance for current and new clients
- Suspension of non-RAD moves and portability
- Landlord payments will continue to be processed but delays may occur
- All non-emergency inspections will be postponed until further notice. Emergency inspections will still be conducted by Property Maintenance and in the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- We will forgo all in-person visits and office appointments at HATT, and encourage you contact us by telephone instead of visiting the office. Please consider calling to report income changes, ask questions about your rent, or report a problem. (Please note that your obligations under a lease remain unchanged.) Please call the main office number at 903-838-8548. You may be asked to mail, fax or email documents for later validation so that we can continue to perform our necessary work to meet your housing needs.
- Routine work orders in our rental communities may take longer time to complete than usual, because staff will be focused on performing a more frequent and thorough cleaning of areas of business.
- We will close some community spaces and postpone events, because experts are discouraging meetings and gatherings.
As you know, the circumstances around this situation seem to be changing daily, so please be aware that there could be updates to this plan in the future. Please call the offices for new information or with question or keep up to date by way of our Facebook page.
I have attached some additional information from the U.S. Center for Disease Control that has been provided to us by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). I urge you to read this information and take every step possible to keep yourself and those close to you safe and healthy. I thank you, in advance, for taking this information seriously, and for being our partner in ensuring that our communities are a safe place to live.
Best wishes to you.
Antonio D. Williams, Chief Executive Officer
HATT Takes Measures to Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Texas Health & Human Services
At the Housing Authority of Texarkana Texas (HATT), we prioritize the health and safety of our communities and want to ensure the well-being of our residents and staff. As the outbreak of COVID-19, commonly known as the novel coronavirus, continues to impact the Texarkana area, HATT is taking extra precautionary measures to limit in-person interactions as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and asking our residents and partners to call, email or submit inquiries online rather than visit our offices.
HATT COVID-19 Protocols
- HATT has created a COVID-19 protocol to prepare and adequately handle our staff, residents, buildings, landlords, and community during this outbreak.
- HATT will send out notices to our community, residents, Housing Choice Voucher participants, and landlords informing our clients that the administration building will be closed to the public until further notice. We will request to have all documentation to be submitted electronically.
- All essential staff will remain in place unless our agency undergoes a quarantine.
- All events will be canceled, such as briefings, community activities, board meetings, travel, etc.
- Our administrative offices and the HATT Maintenance Annex Building will be sanitized daily throughout the week.
- All public notices will be posted on building doors.
- HATT has created a COVID-19 webpage on our website that lists current updates and resources. Please visit www.texarkanaha.org for the information.
- HATT has updated all our social media websites as information continues to change.
View a printable PDF version of this notice >