Is there a student in your home that is a graduating HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR who is preparing to enter college?
Is there a COLLEGE STUDENT in your home who needs financial assistance to remain in school?
Are you wondering how are you going to pay for their college education?
If you answered "yes", please encourage your students to apply for these scholarships especially for scholars who are living in Public or Assisted housing (Section 8).
Southwest NAHRO Scholarship Program Open - Deadline - March 24, 2023
2023 Scholarship Applications Due March 24, 2023
Scholarship Application with accompanying documentation and information must be submitted directly to:
Southwest NAHRO Scholarship Program
12246 FM 1769
Graham, TX 76450
Send via email to Southwest NAHRO Scholarship Program
(Please make sure pictures of the applicant are scanned well enough to utilize in a PowerPoint presentation if the applicant is awarded a scholarship.)
Please encourage individuals to participate in the application process and remind them to utilize the checklist to ensure the necessary documentation indicated is included prior to submitting their complete application.
Thank you for your support of this great endeavor to provide scholarship opportunities.
For questions about the scholarship program, contact the scholarship chair:
Email Milet Hopping
254.752.0324 ext. 280
NAHRO Merit College Scholarship/NAHRO-LDG Scholars Program - Deadline - Contact Regional Representative
- Three (3) $12,000 scholarships over four years to assist with tuition and fees which will also include:
- $3,000 a year for up to three years, as a summer internship stipend
- Networking opportunities with business and community leaders
PHADA Scholarship Programs - Deadline - January Annually
Three scholarships will be awarded:
Stephen J. Bollinger Memorial Scholarship ($7,000)
The scholarship will be awarded at the PHADA Annual Convention and Exhibition. The winner will also receive a trip for him/herself and one parent/guardian to attend the convention.
Freedom & Civil Rights Scholarship ($5,000)
Students must submit a personal essay (350-500 words) demonstrating their efforts and achievements in furthering the values of the civil rights movement. Explain why the cause is still relevant in communities today and how they relate to your educational goals. Include any relevant volunteer experiences and community involvement activities relating to advancing the cause of civil rights.
Nan McKay Pathway to Achievement Scholarship ($5,000)
The scholarships will be awarded by the Public Housing Authorities Directors Association (PHADA) which is an organization of 1900 housing authorities across the United States. PHADA also serves as an advocate before the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) on a variety of regulations governing public housing nationwide.
TRIO: Educational Opportunity Center at Texarkana College Overcoming Barriers Scholarship Fund - Deadline - Saturday, December 31st, 2022 at 11:59 pm CST.
The Educational Opportunity Center at Texarkana College
Since 2016, the Educational Opportunity Center at Texarkana College has served as an essential resource for both high school and adult students in the Bowie and Cass County communities. The Educational Opportunity Center at Texarkana College knows that higher education is the tool to achieve social and economic empowerment. We inspire low-income and first-generation students to fulfill their ambitions of attending college.
The Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) at Texarkana College is a program designed to assist individuals with college matriculation. EOC is a federally funded TRIO program and services are provided to program participants FREE OF CHARGE who meet program eligibility requirements. EOC program participants receive coaching and assistance with the college admissions process, FAFSA, and enrollment at the post-secondary institution of their choice. The Educational Opportunity Center at Texarkana College is funded by a grant from the United States Department of Education.
The Overcoming Barriers Scholarship Fund is a program available for all Educational Opportunity Center at Texarkana College program participants who meet the scholarship criteria. In addition to the scholarship criteria, recipients must exhibit a desire to succeed academically, have strong character, and demonstrate financial need.
Scholarship Criteria and Eligibility:
- Applicant must be a participant in the Educational Opportunity Center at Texarkana College program.
- Applicant must be a U.S. Citizen or legal resident.
- Applicant must be currently enrolled or intending to enroll in a college or university during the upcoming semester.
- Applicant must submit two short answer responses to the questions below:
- What are your educational goals?
- How can this scholarship assist you?
- Finalists must participate in an interview with the scholarship committee.
The Overcoming Barriers Scholarship Fund will award (2) $500 scholarships each semester. Scholarship recipients must be currently enrolled or intending to enroll in a college or university during the upcoming semester. Award recipients can only use scholarship funds for the fall and spring semesters.
Applicant Timeline for 2022:
- October 18th, 2022: Overcoming Barriers Scholarship Fund Applications Available
- Applications are available online at www.texarkanacollege.edu/eoc or in person with an EOC staff member.
- Applications can be submitted online or via email to an EOC Staff Member.
- Applications submitted in person can be turned in to an EOC staff member in the Office of Enrollment Services at Texarkana College. The office is located on the first floor of the Nelson Administration building.
- December 31st, 2022: Overcoming Barriers Scholarship Fund Application Deadline
- Applications must be submitted by Saturday, December 31st, 2022, at 11:59 pm CST.
- Finalists will be emailed to schedule an interview with the scholarship committee.
- January 9th, 2023: Overcoming Barriers Scholarship Fund Winners Announced
The Overcoming Barriers Scholarship Fund recipients receive awards without regard of race, sex, religion, age, national origin, or sexual orientation. EOC will not award scholarships to applicants who are not qualified and reserves the right not to award a scholarship in a given year.